Monday, November 7, 2011

occupy delaware and brian selander's damage control

Not long after I posted the Dana Garrett video on my site, I received the following email sent to my State email address at DSU from Brian Selander.  I should make clear that my State email address has never been linked to this blog by any means, which means that Brian had to go seek it out.

Here is the email in its entirety (not really any point in blanking out my DSU email since the Governor's office is now using it, is there?):


FW: Brandywine Park
Selander Brian (Governor) [brian.selander@state.de.us]

Sent:
Monday, November 07, 2011 12:52 PM

To:
Steven Newton











Steve – saw that you posted Dana’s video, and thought you should see this as well.


From: Barlow Michael (Governor) 

To: 'rmorse@aclu-de.org' <rmorse@aclu-de.org> 

Sent: Mon Nov 07 11:12:09 2011

Subject: Brandywine Park
Rich – I am following up on our conversations Saturday afternoon about the permits for
H. Fletcher Brown Park and Brandywine Park.  I understand that Occupy DE rejected the
offer made by DNREC to allow camping in an area of Brandywine Park. 
I also understand that the language of DNREC’s Brandywine Park permit may have raised
concerns, specifically the language that says that Occupy “may not congregate, solicit the
public, display signs, or distribute materials outside of” the area designated
in the permit for overnight use.  To be clear, DNREC’s concern was camping, and its permit
was not intended to limit lawful speech in areas outside the designated area of the park. 
To the extent the permit conditions suggested that, the language used was overbroad
and a mistake.   

DNREC issued that permit quickly in hopes of getting it into your hands even though a
permit had never been sought.  To be clear, if we had discussed the specifics over the
weekend, I am sure it was something we could have clarified or corrected.  In any event,
I appreciate your cooperation throughout this process.   

Regards,
Mike


Michael A. Barlow
Legal Counsel                                                 
Office of Governor Jack A. Markell
Dover:  302.744.4101 / Wilmington:  302.577.3210
Michael.Barlow@state.de.us
http://governor.delaware.gov




Other than that I should feel important because Brian is apparently one of the 
ten people who visit this blog (or else he tracked me down from leaving a 
reply at Kilroy's), I will leave it as an exercise for the student to determine 
exactly what this response means.
 

No comments: