Friday, October 7, 2011

He's back--with the twin caveats that who he is and what constitutes "back" may require explanation

I was once the Delaware Libertarian, and then I stopped.


Inspiration waned, the cut-and-thrust became increasingly banal, and I realized that another blog hashing over the day's news from any particular ideological perspective represented little more than public masturbation (wanna shake hands now?).


There's nothing inherently wrong with masturbation (and I thank Christine O'Donnell for mainstreaming that discussion), but it is only briefly pleasurable and it really doesn't accomplish anything.


And like my friend Waldo with regards to the conservative movement/GOP and my longtime commenter Anonone with respect to the Obama administration/Democrats, I began to feel that the Libertarian Party/movement walked off and left me.


I have almost as much difficulty today supporting a Libertarian movement that sympathizes with the Tea Party as I suspect a committed progressive has supporting a Democratic administration that just barely pays lip service to your ideals while continuing to fund a "defense" establishment and a growing internal police state, while cutting deal after deal with corporate donors.


So "who I am" has changed a bit...




... and what constitutes "back" is also open for interpretation.


I used to worry about building traffic, having new material up each day, and commenting directly on the news of the day.


Problem is:  I'll never probably enjoy enough traffic to make a real difference, I haven't got the time or inclination to write every day, and somebody else somewhere (with a bigger audience) has probably said whatever I want to say about breaking news faster than I could.


So I'm not going to worry about how many people read this (the essence of masturbation is aloneness, after all); I'm only going to post when I have time or I feel like it; and I'm going to concentrate on trying to write things you wouldn't find anywhere else (at least not easily).


So feel free to come along for the ride.  Or not.


Oh.  And if you'd like an idea about upcoming content, here is the only early hint I am giving:  corporatism (or corporate statism, if you will) represents the most significant threat to our freedoms as Americans, followed closely by the rapidly encroaching police state, and the rapidly approaching death of near-universal literacy and numeracy.


Exciting fare, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back...

And remember: those historical letters we read written long ago, weren't meant for public consumption either... They were simple expressions of how the author felt in real time...

Keep it simple; it stays fun... :0

Delaware Watch said...

Cool. Looking forward to many good discussions w/ you. Does this mean you will be taking a more theoretical and less news analysis tone on this blog?